From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:23:51 -0500
Dear Friends,
This new book by Courtney Jung is receiving so much attention. There
have been at least 10 pieces about her in various publications.
I have bought the book but have not had time to nor the patience to read
it yet. I know it will drive me crazy. There have been so many
inflammatory blogs and posts about it, bashing breastfeeding supporters.
From what I have read, she says breastfeeding is not that big of a
health bonus (research says this according to her), that we are shaming
and guilt tripping mothers, WHO is endangering babies by exposing them
to HIV from their mother's breastmilk in third world countries because
of WHO's love for breastfeeding, and there is so much money to be made
in the business of breastfeeding that we are exploiting mothers for
profit. Just a few of her ideas as I understand them. Her references are
done in a way I have never seen before which will add work to anyone
trying to examine her evidence.
I will be tackling her book but feel I don't have the research
background to fully evaluate the research that she bases her claims on.
I wish she had spent this energy taking on the formula companies. That
would have been a page turner!
I am also asking that someone take on the book itself, not just this
review of the book. I hated giving her any money but I felt I needed to
know my foe.
As Kathleen said, someone with a wise, calm voice should respond.
Thank you,

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor