From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:27:04 -0800
>I was disheartened when I read in the B. C. Baby-Friendly Initiative just
how unfriendly, in fact, Canada is towards breastfeeding toddlers.<

Kathy  There is really little to add to the information available from
INFACT. We share the fight to support/recognize the value of long term
breastfeeding with the rest of the continent.  We are making progress in
Canada but have a long way to go.

>I wonder how many mom's infer that they should wean after the first birthday?

Unfortunately the majority of Canadian infants are weaned before 6 months
let alone 1 year.  Very very few women see this statement as it is
circulated almost exclusively to professionals.

> I do suspect the Nutrition Committe and wonder who they are.<

You are right to suspect them.  They were heavily advised and influenced by
the commercial baby food industry.

>It goes on to say that Heinz infant foods sold in Canada contained from 20 to
>40% less real food ingredients than the same products marketed in the US.  79
>out of 95 Heinz infant foods sold in Canada contain starch fillers.  Dr.
>David Yeung defends the nutritionally diluted foods by claiming that Canadian
>infants have different taste requirements!

This was received with the scorn it deserved. It is my understanding that
Heinz lost market share.  Canada is no different from the rest of the world.
We have our asinine corporate apologists just like everyone else. It
certainly was a topic of conversation at prenatals. This situation should be
used in public relations courses as one of those "statements better left
unsaid and guaranteed to make the situation look worse." Kind of a 'stupid
thing said by a corporate hack' to go along with your collection of 'stupid
things said by doctors'.

>Unfortunately, Canada supported the introduction of complementary foods from
>4 to six months, not as the World Health Assemblies had worded it as "at
>about 6 months".

I think Elizabeth Sterken explained this fairly clearly. It reflects the
degree of influence the industry is excersizing on the government.

No one said this fight was confined by political boundaries. No jurisdiction
is without it's serious problems.

Rhoda, on the West Coast of Canada where it feels like spring. The frogs are
singing and even the birds are twitter pated.
--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--