From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:53:15 -0400
Jahaan wrote, about bringing her well-cared for baby to a training she was
conducting:
"...They felt I was unprofessional because the baby was with me,"

This "unprofessional" thing really bugs the heck out of me sometimes!
Usually what folks mean when they sat that is either 1)you aren't acting
like a banker in a 3-piece suit or 2) you aren't acting pompous enough or
3)you aren't acting "medical-style" so-called "professional" enough.

Usually, when I hear it, it means that the "unprofessional" one wasn't
acting like a stereotypical male doctor (and I mean no offense to our male
doctors here on lactnet - you know I don't mean any of you, just by
definition - you wouldn't be here if you were one of those): remote/reserved
in manner, distant from his subject, authority centered, usually presenting
himself in a manner that emphasizes the distance between himself and his
audience/patients. NO - I AM NOT BASHING HERE! I'm trying to paint a quick
word-picture of the male-oriented, medical, hierarchical type model that has
come to be accepted as "professional". (And it almost always involves
wearing uncomfortable clothes with excess undergarments...!)

Personally, I consider many of those standards to be antithetical to how I
wish to be seen *as a professional*. What do I consider professional, as an
RN IBCLC? Well, obvious intelligence and good verbal ability to start with,
a manner that conveys respect for the other (whether it's an audience of
physicians, a client in trouble, or a group of WIC peer counselor trainees).
Confidence. Authority that springs from knowledge of one's field combined
with a healthy respect for the vast areas where one *isn't* an expert.
Obvious integrity and honesty. Seriousness about one's work and the concerns
of those whom one is there to help. A willingness to take oneself lightly
when appropriate. Clean hair. Clean face. Good posture. Clean nails.
Clothing that suits one's body and manner, and in which one is obviously
comfortable. A good speaking voice, if it can be managed, and a responsive
face and manner. Show up when you say you will, do what you're there to do,
and do it with grace and integrity.

Lactation consulting is a woman's field. It's *womanly* by nature, and it's
intimate. And yes, it does involve babies and breasts - if it weren't for
babies and breasts, we wouldn't have a lot to talk about professionally. And
yes, it's scientific and researched-based and all that important stuff. But
trying to be "professional" by imitating men in general and medical men in
particular does NOT define my professionalism.

Darn it, this is OUR profession - shouldn't WE get to define what
"professional" is? What do others think? Am I the only rampant femininist
out here?

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY