From:
DeDe CLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 02:22:38 -0500
Since it has been awhile since I posted, I'll reintroduce myself.  I am DeDe
Vance, the mother of 2 boys (ages 18 and 15) both breastfed in a time of
ignorance regarding breastfeeding (if I had known then what I know now, I
would have nursed MUCH longer than the 7 and 11 months that I nursed).  I am
also an RN and CLC (through UCLA) working for a major HMO in southern Calif.

I currently have a client with an unusual occurance.  Her baby is 8 weeks old
and she is continuing to have a brownish discharge from her breasts.  I have
followed her semi-closely since the first week post partum--she has
alternated visits between myelf and the pediatrician for weight checks.
 Infant has been a slow gainer.  The discharge seemed to have stopped at some
point prior to 6 weeks, and then to start again.  I occurs throughout the
nursing (anytime she takes infant off, she can express the milk with the
brown in it).  Occasionally, the infant spits up brown fluid.

I haven't seen her since 6 weeks and had no appointments available until
middle of next week.  I did call the breast clinic and they were not
comfortable with it so gave her an appointment for yesterday.  I haven't
spoken with her since that appointment.

Any ideas as to what this discharge could be?

TIA, DeDe--beautiful Thanksgiving weather in So. Calif.  Sunny after a day of
rain.