From:
Liz Dedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:40:20 -0500
I am really enjoying this thread because I think it brings to light a lot
of the myths about physicians and gifts.  Elizabeth, both of your articles
discussed all the gifts physicians receive from formula companies and that
is where my conflict of interest lies.  This must be an old article because
gifts are truly a thing of the past.  Formula companies, as well as drug
companies, do not even leave so much as a pen at my office anymore.  I have
never been invited on a trip from any drug company or formula company of
any kind.  Some drug companies sponsor lunches, but I specifically make it
a point to not attend formula company lunches because of my lactation
training and the possible conflict of interests there.
I am also impressed by Dr. Leeper's practice without any formula samples
and that is why I am interested to know if she still practices general
pediatrics or if she has somehow limited her practice to breastfeeders.
The website of the nonprofit that she medically directs is an impressive
lactation support center and boutique, but I did not see any indication
that a general medical practice happens there or that a formula feeding mom
would be able to do much there besides buy baby gifts.  This is not at all
intended to be criticizing her situation.  If she sees general peds
patients there I think it is a truly enviable situation and one I would be
interested in exploring to replicate.  But if is not also a general medical
facility I am not sure it is fair to compare it to a general pediatrics
practice.

Respectfully to all,

Liz Dedman, MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Growing Healthy Children