Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:53:04 +0000
>I do not think I have seen anything on lactnet abou tthis study:
>
>Henderson A, Stamp G, Pincombe J, (2001) Postpartum positioning and
>attachment education for increasing breastfeeding : a rct, Birth 28(4):
>236-42.

It passed me by, Magda...I have sent for a copy. It is very
challenging to think you can give women *too much* information about
positioning and attachment thogh I can certainly imagine a scenario
where you could make the whole thing about bf into a long list of
do's and don'ts that end up bamboozling the poor mother into thinking
she will never get the hang of it all.

There is quite an old study (1984) which I haven't read but seen
referenced which says a short bedside teaching intervention in
hospital improves bf incidence at one month (Jonson CA, Garza C,
Nichols B, J Nutr Educ 1984; 16:19-22).

In many areas of teaching, it's the person delivering the teaching
that makes the difference. I know this is something that baffles
educationists when trying to work out the 'best' method for teaching
young children  basic skills of liteacy and numeracy. A gifted,
charismatic teacher the children like and respond to will usually
manage to teach effectively, whatever her method, or amount of
teaching materials, or the socio-econonic group she is
teaching....the trick is to find out the best way to improve the
skills of the majority of teachers who aren't especially gifted.

I wonder if the same thing could apply to teaching about bf - as long
as the info transmitted is correct, the crucial difference may be the
person delivering it. Which is, of course, a bit daunting.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK