Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:43:37 -0500
>2) What is the likelihood, in your experience, of weaning from the shield as
>time goes on?

Janette, I have had 2 clients whose babies were not able to transition to
the breast alone until around 3 months.  Another baby wouldn't take the
breast, only a bottle, and she latched on at 3 months and never looked back.

In all three cases, mom kept "offering" the breast at least once per
feeding, and sometimes several times, always with respect for the babies'
personal boundaries. They also offered a lot of skin contact.

One mom said that what kept her trying was that I said to keep offering the
breast because "tomorrow" might be the day that she would get it.  Each
time she thought of letting her dream go, she remembered that I said it
might be tomorrow.  [Sometimes they _do_ hear.]

The baby on the bottle really surprised me.  Mom kept offering the breast
and would nap with her breast exposed and with baby in just diaper, all
snuggled together.  One day--3 months-- she was awakened by a baby at her
breast, and that was it.

Oh, how I admire these women!!

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin