Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 22:24:11 -0700
My daughters were talking about my lactose intolerance, and how the
three scoops of ice cream I just ate were going to cause me some issues
in the next 24 hours.  Having more than the average information
regarding various forms of milk, they asked why monkeys or gorillas or
other various primates have not been utilized to create an alternative
milk source as surely primate milk would be closer in form to human
milk.  I couldn't answer their question.  Any ideas?

It stands to reason that maybe an alternative more natural source of
milk for the rare mother who could not produce enough or any milk for
her child would be another primate, and that this milk would be better
for that child than any soy or cow milk formula (not to mention, better
for my own lactose intolerant body for chocolate almond ice cream).  But
I've never heard of this being an option (well, old tales of Tarzan not
taken seriously, and anyway, wasn't he nursed by a wolf?  How close is
canine milk when compared to human milk?)

I really must stop having these late night conversations with extended
nursing children but I'm curious if anyone has read about primate milk
being used?

Joylyn and curious Lexie