Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:19:01 EDT
We currently use the Hollister Ameda-Egnell products in our hospital. We
switched from Medela about 2-3 years ago. The majority of the major teaching
hospitals in this area use this company as well. We have had very good
success with these pumps. Moms use the hospital grade in the hospital if
needed. If babies are in the NICU and mom's insurance covers pump rentals
they go home with the exact same hospital grade pump. This is a wonderful
plus, mom already has been instructed in use, is comfortable, and does not
have to learn something different for home, when usually under a great deal
of stress. Most of our insurances cover this need. For those moms with no
insurance coverage for pumps, most moms are buying the Purely Yours. While
not my top option for long term pumping there are pluses. As already stated,
the cost is affordable, plus set up is similar to the one they used in the
hospital. Most of our moms are doing well with it, those that seem to have
problems such as low supply, seem to be ones with other factors, either poor
pumping routines, very sick babies with a great deal of stress, which seems
to resolve as baby gets better, or antidotally, those moms who have had
infertility. One of our neonatologists has used this pump twice, once on loan
from us, the second time she bought her own, she liked it so much. No supply
problems. We have not had any back up problems, there really is no way this
can happen, unless there is a hole in the diaphragm, in which case there is
no, or decreased suction. The fact that the pump comes out of the bag is a
plus, as is the fact that it can run on batteries. Another MD that I worked
with had to take her boards in another state, leaving her baby at home. Had
to pump in the airport between planes. In the bathroom, the only outlet was
right by the door coming in and out. If she had had to depend on the plug she
would have been right in the flow of traffic. Luckily she had the battery
option. The company has been very responsive to our needs in a professional
manner. We did much research before making the switch, and we have not
regreted it. Please e-mail me off list if you have other questions that I can
try to answer.
Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA