From:
Marilyn Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:01:51 -0400
Denise,
I didn't mean to say that hand expression shouldn't be an option.
I really do believe that and hand expression is best, but, believe me, we
have a hard enough time getting our staff educated about breastfeeding the
healthy, full term, unmedicated infant. They would have a field day with
hand expression. We only have a LC available 4 hours/day, so that leaves a
lot of room for the other staff to do their thing.
Also, our clientelle are not often the sort to 'want' to room-in, kangaroo
etc , (but we keep trying). If I am able to get to the mom soon after
delivery, that's great, but she may deliver just atfter I leave, then the
evening and night staff ( who like numbers, amounts, times etc) will be
doing the initial assessment & teaching. We are really trying to educate but
often times, it seems as though they nod in agreement when the inservice is
presented, then go ahead and do what they think is best for mom and baby.
How can we change this. We have posted the handout on hand expression  and
really none of the nurses want to consider this- some days I really wish
that the pumps would break down and then see what would happen :)
thanks for you comments and video suggestion, I will certainly look into it.
Marilyn