From:
BILL FIOCK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 07:14:13 -0700
I am curious to ask others- when a baby does need to be supplemented, has anyone found difficuly with milk supply being stunted with the sns system? Our local hospital uses the sns -alot. Most of the moms who come in for consults had the sns started  by day 2. I know,  but, what I see is that milk onset is delayed due to early intro of formula, the milk supply doesn't seem to be flowing as it would naturally because even when attatched properly there seems to be a decrease in suction. The moms believe by supplementing at the breast they are stimulating milk supply but it frequently doesn't come in and they're in trouble by day 5-6.
  And even in later situations; I had this really come home last week with a mom who struggled for 6 weeks with low milk supply with baby #1 then went to fully breastfeed. With baby 2 she was using the sns for weeks, and pumping after feeds, taking fenugreek. By week 5 she was nursing directly on the first side then giving a pc at the breast with the supplementer on the 2nd (lower producing side) EBM then formula if absolutely necessary. Eventually she found the sns a pain and started giving the little extra via bottle. Careful bottling; with a tickle to lip, wait for gape then getting a wide mouth bottle. In one week with no sns the production went up in the "lower producing side" and we were able to decrease supplement to 3 times daily with a bottle and decided to forget the sns. Any others finding that the sns may not be all what it's cracked up to be? All the info I see supports the supplementers over the bottle every time but, I'm seeing too many babies with "sns
 confusion" smart babes sipping it like a straw, either overtly or sneaking a tongue up to the roof of the mouth, and even with pumping too the direct nursing, correctly doing a better job to bring in the milk!??

Look forward to your wisdom,

Gail Fiock RN/IBCLC

   [input]  [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]    DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...
  Previous | Next | Back to Messages Save Message Text | Full Headers