Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:56:00 EST

<<  She then pumped out his stomach, measured the
 amount that he consumed [which was as much as he was "supposed" to],
 properly recorded it, and then put it back into his stomach through the tube.

 I hope that this seems as bazaar to the rest of you as it did to that mom
 and to me. >>

Pat , This also sounds very bizarre to me!  I had a friend with a baby in the
NICU and they were doing the very same thing.  I am an RN with term nursey
experience, no NICU.  But something about that just doesn't sit right with
me.  This friend of mine was only allowed to nurse on schedule and then they
would aspirate to see " How much"  What they didn't know was she would sneak
in feeds when they weren't paying attention, like right before weight checks
so she could get that baby out of there!!  Imagine a mom having to secretly
nurse!!!  in a hospital!!!!.  Here was a mom who was also a midwife!!!  4th
baby, but still somewhat intimidated by the rules and procedures.  Things
have a long way to go in the preemie world in my opinion!!

Jessica Donahue RN  IBCLC