Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:45:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I would like to thank the W/P/R Lactation Consortium for sponsoring the wonderful conference  this past weekend, 2 days with Robin Glass and Lynn Wolf, both OTs who specialize in infant feeding and swallowing.  The audience was about evenly split between OTs and LCs and the sharing and networking that went on was fantastic.  We all learned from each other, both about what we do and how we do it.  I have heard this presentation criticized in the past for its lack of mention of breastfeeding as an option for any of these infants/children.  This was due in part to the fact that these people see so very few that are breastfeeding.  However, they modified the presentation to be very inclusive of breastfeeding and it was great.  Not only did the LCs appreciate it, but so did the OTs who really would like to be more supportive of breastfeeding, but often lack any knowledge or background in it.  Many of us hooked up with local people in our areas and hope to do more cooperative work with these babies in the future.

I had breakfast with a different OT each morning.  One interesting topic of conversation was qualifications, training and certification in both fields.  I was interested to know how the OT profession had evolved and where it was today.  She told me that it mainly started after WWI when nurses were trying to find ways to help the returning servicemen, many with awful injuries - both mental and physical - to get back into some type of normal lifestyle.  They found that just helping them to do everyday tasks which would lead them back into some type of productive life was the most important in many cases.  After this initial start, the profession went along in fits and starts, sometimes leaning towards a more physical therapy type of approach and other times towards the original emphasis on occupational or life skills, which is where they have settled out at this time.  Since feeding is a basic life skill, this is a specialty for some OTs.  She told me that soon, a master's degree would probably be considered the ENTRY level requisite for this field.  I say this in order to remind those who are uncomfortable with the future plans of IBLCE for entry level requirements into the lactation profession.  If we want to be a true health profession, and not become simply a nursing specialization or a quasi-lay/professional, then we must be willing to do the work that other health professionals do in order to gain entry into their respective fields.  In OT, experienced therapists were originally grandfathered in as the requirements became more stringent.  I think that this can be done for LC's as well, but at some point, a line will need to be drawn for those who are aspiring to enter the field for the first time.

If anyone is able to get to one of these conferences, I would strongly urge you to do so.  The information I gained was invaluable and it was the kind of stuff that I hope to see included in a formal LC curriculum in the future.  Thanks again to the folks in downstate NY for all their hard work.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2