From:
Judith Gutowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2018 12:07:58 -0400
Hello Colleagues,
I have permission to post from mother of a 14 month old daughter with feeding difficulties since birth. I have been working with this pair for 13 months when the child was discovered to be below birth weight at 1 month old. There have been many feeding strategies over these months to help this child gain weight. Mother has continued working with me and has also been working with a feeding team. The child nurses 8 times a day, 3 times overnight, in addition to solids and some medical nutrition products. She is gaining adequately, 13 oz in the past 38 days. The dietician is recommending weaning from breast overnight and giving only expressed breast milk by cup during the day so the baby will overcome her feeding aversion.  She blames to food aversion on breastfeeding and has not offered any evidence for this opinion.
The current diagnoses for this child include the following: Atrial Septum Defect, Laryngomalacia - corrected , Lip tie-Uncorrected, Dysphasia-pharensophageal phase , Hypotonia , Hypermobility, Expressive speech delay, Slight motor delay , Obstructive and central sleep apnea , GERD , Functional constipation , Submucus cleft
Feeding aversion, Possible connective tissue disorder, possible Crohn's.
I have done a quick search of PubMed and I find nothing stating that breastfeeding causes or exacerbates feeding aversion. Are any of you aware of evidence supporting the dietician's opinion or evidence contrary to this opinion. I would like to be able to provide evidence for this mom. She is concerned she will be seen as a bad mom for not complying with stopping breastfeeding. Mother believes this will be detrimental to the child emotionally and nutritionally and I agree.
Thanks in advance for your help.