From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:22:33 -0700
Hi All,
One Last reminder:  Deadline for Lactnet shirts and transfers is Monday Sept
1.  But in my postpartum brain I didn't realize that here in the USA it is
also Labor Day and the postal service is closed.  Any checks postmarked with
Sept 2 will be accepted.  Order for all items goes in on Sept 1 so if you
want to order a T-shirt, Sweatshirt or Transfer, get your order in to me via
e-mail by Sept 1, and your payment postmarked by Sept 2.  Any orders
postmarked after Sept 2 will have to be returned.

OK, now on to a BF related question!
I have a book on St Johns Wort.  In it it says "that hypericum extract
inhibits the pituitary secretion of prolactin, there might be a theortical
possiblity of problems with the production of breast-milk during lactation."
The book also says that if problems are noticed to just lower the dose or
stop taking it.  My question would be how long into BF is prolactin the main
trigger for breastmilk production and when would inhibiting the production
of prolactin no longer be a problem?

Does anyone have any data re: hypericum (St Johns Wort) and BF moms?    THis
book (which is really good, btw) says it has no data/studies.  The only
caution it gives for BF or pregnant women is this info on the prolactin.
The name of the book is Hypericum       Depression   written by Harold H.
Bloomfield, MD,  Mikael Nordfors, MD and Peter McWilliams.  Very easy to
read and understand.

Looking forward to any thoughts on this!
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."