From:
deb shinskie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 07:12:57 -0500
After being on both sides of the fence with this dilemma, it still feels
like a tough call.  In utopia, it shouldn't matter, but in reality it does.
I agree with what Linda said - we need to respect the speakers & other
attendees - AND our babies. The LLL conferences I have attended are quite
accomodating for children/family and they deserve a pat on the back for
this.  If the conference is not presented in the brochure in this manner, we
need to look at options.

When my babes in arms become babes on knees/feet, I drag my spouse or other
unknowing victim to the conference to hang out with the toddler and catch me
whenever needed.  I have found thus far that we ALL have fun with this
arrangement.  I feel comforted knowing I will be retrieved as needed.
Sometimes finances don't allow this to happen, and I always trust that
another conference will give me just what I need at a later time.

On the other side of the fence I have given lectures -professional & parent-
with babe in sling (each of my 4 have lasted with this arrangement up to
about 12-13 months).  I found my children did much better in front of the
audience than in it!!  They usually fell asleep - I guess they already knew
the content - bfing! - and were bored!  They were also accomodating about
demos of discreet public bfing!  It was a fun, sweet time which I now miss -
the baby is 20 months old!

Debbie Shinskie