From:
Kathy Leeper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:52:49 -0500
I am the Pediatrician in Lincoln Nebraska working on starting up a bf
support center with 4 (maybe 5 now!!) other women.  We had a meeting about
it today, and one of the gals (a doula) has a client who wants to induce
lactation for an adopted baby.  The lady's OB is willing to prescribe
whatever is necessary.  But my friend found 2 different protocols, both
using progesterone and Reglan.  But one used progesterone via patch, and
the other injection.  She asked my opinion (HA!) and I told her I knew
where to look!
I searched the archives, and found several questions relating to induced
lactation, but no specific protocols.  I also found a posting about using
fenugreek and blessed thistle rather than the progesterone and Reglan.
So...is there any protocol that is endorsed over others at this point in
time?  And, could this mom try pumping/fenugreek/blessed thistle first,
then in a couple of weeks do the progesterone/Reglan if necessary?  If so,
what would the doses of fenugreek/blessed thistle be, and where should she
purchase them from?
Thanks alot!

Kathy Leeper, MD
...learning lots by lurking...