Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:40:42 EDT
Tina, you wrote , "Formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk, and bottle
milk flow, if not paced, is consistently fast throughout the feed, so
artificially fed babies often take larger amounts (150 to 250  or even more per
feed), take awhile to digest it all, then wake up hugely hungry and gorge again, so
consequently often only feed 4 times a day. "

And my concern is that babies who eat like this may set up a life long
pattern of eating huge amounts per meal which in turn negatively affects digestion.
Is this also a pattern that leads to obesity? digestive problem?  Are there
any studies that address this?  Or does it matter more what the total amount in
24 hr is?

A mom of twins came to my group recently whose babies at 4 mos took 8 oz
(formula) every 4 hr (total of 32 oz) and slept through the night.  I showed paced
feeding and expressed concern re this gorging (didn't use that word) pattern
of eating, and mom seemed concerned, too, with feeding this way, though unsure
since babies' pediatrician said this was fine.  I just wished then I'd had
research to show her this eating pattern could be harmful in the long run.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC