From:
"Martha S. Pitzer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 03:13:48 -0600
Hi Susan Moxley,

Have thought about you often and your visits in AZ while at ILCA.  I don't
know the answer to above question - however, maternal dehydration during
pregnancy has been shown to be r/t uterine irritability which then often
results in preterm labor.  Preterm labor, of course, can lead to fetal
 problems - primarily preterm birth.

Breastfed newborns infants, (it seems to me) may be more vulnerable to maternal fluid
shifts associated with hemorrhage or severe dehydration than they are to poor
 maternal nutrition.  I'm anxious to hear if others on LACTNET
know whether there is any documented relationship between maternal & infant
dehydration.

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the unfortunate case of the
"baby with green jelly-like stools."  You should be very proud of your
testimony.  According to my most recent neonatal text, "Comprehensive
 Neonatal Nursing" (1993) by C. Kenner, A. Brueggemeyer, & L. Gunderson
 there are any number of possible metabolic disorders involving strange types of diarrhea.  Have you heard any further results?

Regards,
Martha
Martha Pitzer, RN, PhD, CLE
Columbus, Ohio