Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:43:08 EDT
<< I am not sure what is meant by a "full stomach" in Dr. Wight's post. When
 babies are nursing for colostrum in the first few days...is that a full
 stomach? Our OB's will circ after a feed at the breast. Never have had a
 problem with this. >>

A major concern, IMNSHO, is that in our facility, the OBs pop down to do the
circs when they have the time.  So, though they may decide that it will be
done "this morning" -- no one knows what time this morning.  In order to
accomodate an NPO for an hour prior to the circ, all the babies would have to
be NPO from about 7:00 am on until said doc got around to doing it.

Our babies eat ad lib up until the time of the circ.  Never has been a
problem with either the bottle feeding babies or the bf babies.  As far as
doing surgery on the baby with a "full tummy", being concerned about his
vomiting and aspirating -- why aren't we concerned when babies urp, spit,
reflux and or vomit at other times?  What's the difference between vomiting
and possibly aspirating while lying on his back in his crib in the nursery,
or vomiting and possibly aspirating while lying on his back on the circ
board?  At least there he has someone (or two) watching him!

And, if it is breastmilk, at least the aspiration isn't as likely to be as
much of a problem as if it were formula.

My concern is circing these kids before they've had a few good feeds.  Now if
we could ONLY get the OBs to check on THAT before they whisk them off to do
it.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC