From:
Tammy Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:22:42 -0500
Karen and Jim Urbec wrote:

> That strikes me as so sad! That this mom could know about all the "things"
> she "needed" to breastfeed, but didn't learn all the benefits of bf that
> would've convinced her to continue more than a few weeks.

It is sad.  I think this mom got it, intellectually.  Frankly, I just don't
think she cared enough to keep it up.  For many of us who accept that having a
baby means staying with the baby most of the time, breastfeeding can be a joy.
For some women, like this mom, who feel like babys just tie them down,
breastfeeding is just another link in the "ball and chain".  I'm not sure that
for these women they entirely care  about how much breastfeeding is good for the
baby.  They like the idea, as long as it's easy (right from the start) and it
doesn't get in the way of anything they want to do.

I don't mean to sound ugly about this mom.  She's not an ugly person.  What I'm
getting at is that, for some people, children are just not the same type of
priority that we normally hold them to be.

Tammy Schilling
LLL Salisbury

--
personal copy designs