From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 02:08:24 -0400
I don't feel you need to confess.  I had a client come to the
Breastfeeding Center on Thursday, last week and she had very sore
nipples.  They were bleeding and looked very painful.  We worked with
position and upon assessment of the infants palate she of course had a
high palate.  Everything looked good and the baby has been gaining wt at
a good rate.  Baby was 5 days old and only 3 oz from birth wt.  Mother
just kept saying, "I am really hating this.  It hurts too much."  She was
going to stop breastfeeding if it get more comfortable right then.  The
mother admitted that with help and better positioning the feeding was
better, but not good enough for her to keep going.  I went to a Medela
shield.  The next day I made a phone call to her and she said things were
much better.  She was  not dreading feeding the baby like she was before.
 There was hope that she would continue.  She is continuing to use the
shield through the weekend.  We have a f/u visit tomorrow, Monday, to see
about taking the baby off the shield.
I believe that you do what you have to sometimes to keep these mom's
breastfeeding and I don't apologize for using a shield if it keeps the
baby at the breast.  This baby would have been on ABM when she walked out
the door if not for the shield for just a few days.  I do believe there
is a place and time for tools that are available to us.
Thank you for listening.  And good for you Pam.  One baby at a time!
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Milk Bank & Breastfeeding Center
Worcester, MA (USA)