From:
Karen & David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:26:41 +0800
Does anyone know of any documented cases of Uticaria which have occured
after breastfeeding has been established for 6 months or so? I have
heard about it in pregnancy and early lactation but not at this stage.
I have never had any alleries in my life before or any symptoms such as
urticaria. When my first son was about six months of age, I began
exploding in large welts- very red,hot and itchy. This persisted despite
antihistimines, lotions etc. A dermatologist said I had "Hives" and that
they would go away eventually - cause unknown.I was really impressed to
hear his diagnosis after waiting to see him for two months (+ and hour
in the waiting room) and lots of $$$, to be told I had Hives!! Another
GP gave me a course of steroids (I weaned temporarily) which brought
some relief but did not cure it. The rash returned with avengence when
the course ended. The rash covered the entire body but was mainly on the
trunk and upper arms and legs. My son weaned at 10 months and it went
away.
My daughter was born 3 years later. I breastfed her for 16 months with
no sign of Urticaria. My second son is now 8 months old and it has
returned. It began on and off at 6 months and is much worse now.It isn't
yet as bad as before and is concentrated on the lower region of my
abdomen and legs. A friend who is a veterinary surgeon told me she read
about some dairy cows getting hives from being allergic to their own
milk.
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Does anyone have any
suggestions? I will continue to BF my son regardless; but I would like
to at least know why this is so.
Thanks KU