Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2016 21:42:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Allyson,
I would suggest she address this problem by addressing inflammation. I have celiac disease and have helped many other mothers with autoimmune issues. Is this mother 100% gluten and dairy-free and has she been assessed for cross-reactive foods to gluten?  The last thing you want to do is more gut damage with more abx! I see frequent O/S with inflammatory conditions and I believe DMER is related in some mothers. She needs to stop the folic acid, as most folks w autoimmune issues have impaired methylation. 

Nutrient depletions from Keppra might also be contributing to her issues, especially depletion of magnesium. I poor quality multi would be useless, at best. 
http://www.nutritional-solutions.net/images/phocadownload/Rx_DepleteInteractions.pdf
"Keppra AVOID high doses of folic acid (above 2,000mcg/day), vitamin B6 (above 75mg/day), which can interfere with the anti-seizure actions of this drug. DEPLETES vitamins B6, B12, D, K, folic acid, calcium and magnesium. A multiple vitamin/mineral can help replace these nutrients."
She might even consider a ketognenic diet, since they are the most effective at treating epilepsy and are anti-inflammatory. 

"Have a mother who called me regarding complicated case of recurrent mastitis for which have permission to share. I searched the archives and found some useful info from a post in 2010. But wanted to see if anyone has had more recent experience and success with any similar circumstances. Mother has 2 year old and 2 1/2 month old. Persistent mastitis prevented continued breastfeeding with first baby. A revised tongue tie was an issue as well. Second baby has breastfed without difficulty, painfree latch, consistent on cue feeding, good output and weight gain. However, mastitis has returned and has occurred every 2 weeks with sudden onset fever >102, pain, general ill feeling for which Bactrim helps temporarily.  Mother is being evaluated for IgA deficiency and hyperprolactinemia, and started a probiotic 10 days ago. Confounding PMH includes autoimmune disorder, celiac disease and epilepsy (taking Keppra) all diagnosed 4 years ago. Other supplements include Vit D, pre-natal with folic acid. Additionally, mother reports to have D-MER with feedings. Her wish is to breastfeed as long as possible, wondering if there is some way to control mastitis with long-term low level antibiotic or any other strategy. She is getting mixed messages from various professionals regarding risk of frequent antibiotic with breastmilk vs switching to formula. Any insight appreciated!"

Allyson Wessells, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Columbus, Ohio
www.naturalnurturinglc.com

Jennifer Tow, BFA, MA, IBCLC, RLC, OMT
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2