From:
Beth Vest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 18:12:03 -0400
I am responding to the Duramorph discussion. We have used this in our C/S
patients for at least 6 years. It is an opiate which anesthesiologists will
tell you does not effect the fetus or newborn infant. WRONG!! At the ILCA
conference Dr Woolridge asked how many LC's found that babys have many
sucking problems after moms have had Duromorph. The response was  that
babys of mom's who have epidural anesthesia have sucking problems
(DrWoolridge tryed to get a percent guess but I can't remember what percent
he estimated but it was high). In our hospital I would say at least 75% have
labor epidurals along with most C/S moms.I have been a PP,NICU nurse 10 years
and I know I'm seeing more problems with the first attachments to the breast.
I hope someone does some research on this subject.Good luck to all taking the
IBCLC exam. I was planning to take it but our JACHO inspection is the 2nd so
needless to say my manager wouldn't give time off to the person in charge of
the nursery- PP unit. To say I'm stessed out with this inspection  is to say
the least so I guess it's just as well I'm skipping it this year. I just went
on line with LACTONET yesterday so I'm longwinded today. I can't believe the
amount of E-mail I've alredy received. It's great to be with all of you. Beth
Vest in Clearwater FL