From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:26:10 -0500
At 2/6/2002 02:01 AM -0800, you wrote:
>What is the goal?

Gail, I understand that you and every other physician are very busy, and
that the myriad of issues you deal with is a lot more expansive than just
breastfeeding. However, the goal here  in my mind is ethical
responsibility.  Just because we are busy, does that let us out of keeping
up to date on care of the diabetic? or the cancer patient? Under what
circumstances is it ok to be practicing out of the current research
recommendations? It is an ethics issue, to me.  Especially when you look at
the fact that money and other things change hands frequently between
formula reps and professionals...and hospitals.  It simply is unethical to
allow these things to sway our practice.

I also feel that the burden of responsibility to be current and correct is
on the physician, nurse, IBCLC, etc. It is not my job as a nurse or IBCLC
to sell information to anyone who practices medicine or nurse who practices
nursing, etc.  It is their responsibility to maintain the standards of
their own practice, as it is mine.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html