From:
Cathy Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:51:24 +0800
 Follow up reading has revealed that this condition does not result from a
deficiency in lipoprotein lipase (sorry for the confusion), further
communication in the light of this:

"According to the Steadman Medical Dictionary abetalipoproteinemia is an
absence from blood plasma of low density lipoproteins, not a lack of
lipoprotein lipase - that changes everything!
This would also suggest the opposite to the second abstract, it being
'hyper'.

As mentioned before, fatty acids in milk come from blood or are made within
the breast.  The ones that come from the blood can come from chylomichrons
and very low density lipoproteins.  In the mother with abetalipoproteinemia
I am supposing that there is reduced transfer of long chain FA from the
very low density lipoproteins to breast milk, accounting for their lower
than usual levels mentioned in the first abstract.  The breast will try to
make up the short fall in total fat by synthesising it's own, hence the
increase in medium chain fatty acids.

That fact that there are any long chain FA may indicate the delivery of
these FA via chylomicrons, which one reports suggests provides 10-12 % of
some long chain FA.  As chylomicrons originate from the immediate diet this
provides an avenue for intervention. I am, however, very loathe to suggest
supplementation of any sort as I do not know the total effects of the
condition -  this should be left to a physician.

Otherwise, the stuff about the importance of fatty acids I mentioned in the
milk similar in fatty acid composition to some infant formulae.  I'll let
you decide if this is a suitable situation or not. ;)

Please read this information  as initial thoughts provided for a guide
rather than answers."

Hope this hasn't confused the issue.

Regards
Cathy Fetherston