Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:41:41 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
One of the tenets of the IBLCE Code of Ethics says:
7.  Base her/his practice on scientific principles, current research, and information.

Are you in an unsafe legal position if you use/promote any product without evidence to support its use ?

Linda Smith reinforces my basic question about Lansinoh - where is the evidence ? 

I first wrote >>
Given that Lansinoh is owned by Pigeon, perhaps it's an opportune time to 'give it the flick'. Does your hospital insist on using only products and procedures that are evidence based ?

and then >> ..........
I have not found independent research (that is, not done by Lansinoh staff) based on randomised controlled trials to show it works.... 

The indisputable fact is that Lansinoh was taken over by Pigeon in April 2004 and Pigeon is a known WHO Code violator.

Lactnetters were asked by an ABA member (director?) to sign a petition to an airline because their contract caterer serves Nestle products. I doubt the airline knew much about the WHO Code beforehand, but at the same time, the Australian Breastfeeding Association takes large sums of money from Lansinoh, a company owned by Pigeon, a known Code violator, and a product apparently without evidence to support its use [if there is evidence, do send to Lactnet]. 

I'm optimistic Nina that in your advocacy role with ABA you will persuade them to stop this sponsorship/association. 

Cheers
Jan Cornfoot
IBFAN Australia Representative

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2