From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:59:07 -0500
As Jack's co-author, I thought I might jump in to see if I can clarify a
bit. He points out that when Jack started working as a physician (and indeed
when I had my first baby) the hospital routine of the time was that babies
got nothing but glucose water for the first 24 hours after birth. Clearly
this was not ideal. However, the common situation today is the baby who
doesn't latch or take the breast in the first few hours after birth, and the
mother then is strongly pressured to give the baby formula (with all the
risks that we know may follow). He was trying to point out alternatives to
this immediate jump to giving formula, including mixing colostrum with
glucose water to increase the volume for easier feeding and, if no colostrum
was available, giving glucose water for a period of time - while
consistently working to get breastfeeding established.

Teresa Pitman