Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 15:36:56 EDT
Somewhere I recall being told that if mom can feel the effects of alcohol
(numb lips, "woozy" feeling, drowsiness, etc.), then her blood level is high
enough for the alcohol to be in her milk at that time, and if she nurses
while having these symptoms, the baby WILL be getting alcohol.  If mom has a
glass or two of wine at dinner, say, and later nurses the baby after the
"warm" feeling has subsided, then chances are a significant portion of the
alcohol has left her blood AND been filtered out of her milk.

I, again, teach moms to listen to their bodies and their babies when making
decisions.  But I also mention that a drink a night is still 30 drinks/month,
and WAY too much for most people, especially when breastfeeding is involved.

Smiles,

Carol