From:
David Wernick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:16:39 +0200
I am concerned that that fenugreek, alias hilbeh in Hebrew or Arabic, may
have significant side effects beyond stimulating lactation. In particular, I
am concerned that fenugreek may be contraindicted in some cases of blood
pressure or blood sugar problems.

While I was pregnant last year, I had high blood pressure and a Yemenite
Jewish friend recommended to me to take hilbeh to lower it. It seems that
hilbeh is a traditional Yemenite medicine for high blood pressure and
diabetes.

I consulted with my physician, the head of a department at a major hospital.
He confirmed that hilbeh lowers blood pressure - to the point that it would
be dangerous for me since I was already taking blood pressure medication.

At this point I have no further information. I'm trying to investigate, and
I'll report to the list if I'm able to learn more.

Does anyone know more about this?

Devorah Schesch-Wernick
APL, LLL-Israel