Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:21:31 EDT
In a message dated 05/20/2001 11:11:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  But  the reality is, our culture in general does not support extended
 breastfeeding. >>
You are right, Mary. I would take it even further though and say that our
culture in general does not support child-led anything. Most parents wean
early or never nurse,  they do not let what the baby needs lead them to
behaviors with potential benefits for everyone, same for sleep issues, day
care, entrance to preschool or not, even something so simple as taking a
fussying/crying baby out of a stroller for some needed physical contact.
Children still seem to be seen, as was mentioned before,  as one more thing
in need of regular management - they cannot be trusted to lead parents
anywhere except the land of Spoiled, apparently. After years of this, I
wonder who my children will have in the future to build lives with - this
generation of unattached, ( "self-reliant") individuals who haven't a clue
about what they need except what they have been told...
Judy Fram, Brooklyn, NY