From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:34:17 +1000
Hi, Lactnetters,
     It is good to see a number of suggestions coming in on recurrent mastitis.  May I add one other?  This is going to apply to only a very tiny percentage of cases, but is worth considering and checking out, if only for the purpose of elimination.
     Sometimes mothers whose babies have tongue tie have mastitis from poor drainage, because the baby doesn't have an efficient suck.  If the mother doesn't have the usual things one expects to see with a tight frenulum in the baby, i.e. nipple trauma, tongue tie might be missed earlier - till there are recurrent episodes of mastitis.  Certainly, the tongue is another thing to check out. (There may be faltering growth, as well, also from inefficient milk removal.)
     As I said, it is only going to be a very tiny percentage of recurrent mastitis  cases, but those few will bless you if you pick this up.
     Another point I would want to see checked out has already been mentioned by others Lactnetters - anaemia.
                    Cheers,
                        Virginia       [log in to unmask]
                        Virginia Thorley

The milk of human kindness doesn't come from a bottle or a sachet or a can, but from a mother's breast.