From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 18:12:36 EDT

Teresa wrote:

The  mother is a vegan who eats no dairy, no fish, no eggs, lots of grains,
peanut  butter, garbanzo beans, and veggies.  The dad's a chef who will fix
anything for her, but he's running out of food choices.  The mom started  the
gluten-free diet three
days ago with even worse responses from the  baby.  I told her that
sometimes things get worse before they get  better, but the mom is at her
wits end.  She pumps for supply, offers  breast, but of course baby only
takes it once or twice a day for a moment  or two and then goes into a fit
and mom resorts to a  bottle.

Teresa and all,
Of course peanuts jumped out at me, but then again I am wondering why the
pumped milk is something the baby will take ( when it has the same things in it
that the baby would react to at the breast, which is being refused) but the
baby  won't nurse from the breast. Unless it's an aversive reaction to some
previous  discomfort which is now resolved by the previous dietary changes, I
would think  the baby would refuse the pumped milk as well. This makes me wonder
if it's not  a food issue ( or a food issue alone) as maybe a flow issue. Does
the baby  bottlefeed smoothly and nice and slow with paced bottlefeeding, or
is it  noisy, with milk loss, lack of rhythm, lack of mouth opening, etc?

Just wondering,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, USA