From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 21:01:06 EDT
I also had a consult once with a mom whose baby had been born with what they
called "milk teeth".  These two little bottom teeth were razor sharp.  The
underside of his tongue was raw and bleeding.  She took him to a pediatric
dentist who took them out.  They are not the baby teeth, and had very little
root to them.  No further problems with nursing.

At the hospital where I work, a whole case of Mead Johnson booklets, Nursing the
First Two Months showed up at my doorstep.  I got the idea that Mead Johnson
felt two months was long enough.  It also came with a $5 off coupon for formula.
I talked to my manager and we decided to give them only to formula feeding moms,
who could use the coupon.  If they chose to read the book, all the better.  One
of the nurses asked why I was giving breastfeeding information to the bottle
feeding moms.  I told her nobody much minded giving formula to the breastfeeding
moms......................................

Once I was called a Titician.  I though the guy was kidding but he was serious.

Thanks for all the ideas of 101 Ideas.  Wish I lived in a world where they would
not be helpful, but I am living realistically here in an area where bottle
feeding is the norm.  By giving them a place to donate, I feel I am coming at
the problem from a different perspective.  They realize that I do not want it
given to their baby, but they can feel generous about giving it to someone else
.  And that is one less sale to the formula company, IMHO.  Thanks to those who
were understanding about this......

Ann CAlandro, RNC,IBCLC
Waxhaw, NC    where we are getting patients evacuated from the SC coast at my
hospital, and are all warily eyeing Fran and hoping she stays away