Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:31:43 -0600
>1)mom wants to take iron supplement but worried about baby's reaction
>to iron (baby exclusively bf and is 7 wks, was born at 38 wks NVD)
>Baby has a fussy/gassy/crying period in eve from 10pm-1am often has a
>soft bm and falls to sleep.  Mom does try to nurse during this time
>but baby is so upset she can't. From several posts (Pat Gima as one)
>the form of iron recommended is ferrous fumerate.

Ferrous fumerate, which is organic iron, has not bothered the babies whom I
have worked with and there are "prenatal vitamin" preparations in health
food stores that have this form of iron.  If the mother needs a
concentrated iron supplement, the one that I like is Blood Builder, made by
Mega Foods.  I like it because it is processed for heightened assimilation.
And, again, it has not been gas producing in the babies, not constipating
to the mothers. As some people have had trouble finding it, I will give
their URL and phone number.

Phone number.

1-800-848-2542

There are others.  Just look for food-based (organic) iron.  A mother who
is not familiar with natural supplements won't want to spend a lot of time
looking for just one brand.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest, USA

mailto:[log in to unmask]