Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:52:13 +0000
Ellen is in a difficult situation politically, and is very aware of it, too.

But Ellen, I don't think there is room to manoever, ethically.

If as breastfeeding supporters we take as our international, shared
baseline  as the WHO Code on the marketing of breastmilk substitutes,
then formula manufacturers cannot be permitted to advertise
breastmilk substitutes direct to mothers or mothers-to-be, at
whatever stage their babies are at, in any setting.

This protects exclusive breastfeeding to six months. The mothers at
the day care centres will have babies of over three months, and may
have made the decision to breastfeed, but their exclusive bf is
vulnerable.

Just as important,  they are very likely to be pregnant with future
babies at some point; workers in the day care centres may become
pregnant; babysitters and nannies who collect the babies from day
care may become pregnant.

Any advertising of this sort promotes artificial feeding. If the
manufacturers want to advertise there, you can be sure they do it
with one aim in mind - to sell more formula.  And that matters....

I understand you want to stay close to the other orgnisations, and
you want to present a united front, and you feel you need to
compromise to make any form of move forward. But can you say 'I
support this bit of the legislation....but not that bit'?

Not envying you at all....good luck.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK