From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:32:23 -0500
Gloria Buoncristiano-Thai posted:
>Should mom be pumping every two hours or would
>7 times a day be enough--i.e.  morning, midmorning, lunch, midafternoon,
>dinner, evening and before bed?

I would add a pumping session during her normal sleep cycle to take
advantage of the higher prolactin levels.  Pump every 2 hours or so in day
time  and then every 3- 5 at night for a total of 8 sessions in 24 hours.

>How should the mom pack and transport the milk?

The milk should be in sterile containers made of hard plastic  with sterile
airtight lids.  She should freeze it as cold as possible as soon as possible
and transport in a cooler with dry ice.

Once baby is feeding and she is in closer physical proximity the milk should
be "served" as fresh as possible, just pumped prior to mealtime when
possible and refrigerated as second best.

Earlier discussions on Lactnet concluded baby should first be fed frozen
colostrum then the freshest (and refrigerated if over 1 hour prior to
feeding)  milk possible while using frozen milk (oldest first) as backup if
fresh supply falls short.

Carla (just north of Washington, DC)