From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:56:41 -0700
I remember a political science professor saying that what is personal is
political and what is political is personal.  I believe that many of us
are very passionate about our careers in breastfeeding.  That passion
stems from our personal experience.  I have no problem with the
discussions but realize that many may view it as unrelated.

Frankly, the suggestion of discussing the pros and cons of specific
pumps seems more troubling, especially if any of us have a vested
interest in the sale and rental of said products.  I do believe that
even the best of pumps can cause nipple damage and soreness, if used
improperly.  There is a type of sore nipple that is caused solely by
pumping on a pump that has a too small nipple opening on the flange. It
occurrs on the base of the women's nipple.  It is a reddened ring about
1/4 to 1/2 inch wide.  Haven't seen a slide of that yet. And sometimes
that discount store pump works wonderful for a mom. Kittie Franz's book,
Breastfeeding Product Guide 1994, helped me figure some things out.  I
don't know if that has been updated.(don't have a monetary interest in
sale of the book--just thought its a good reference)Valerie W. McClain,
IBCLC