From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:09:00 -0700
er, rather, it really might produce.  She needs to
learn to massage the breast while nursing and try a
variety of positions on that side.  I have a friend
who had the same situation and didn't produce much on
one side after a c-section.  She had a VBAC and has
lactated fine on that side- I suspect it's due to the
up-regulation of oxytocin receptors when the perineum
is stretched, leading to a greater growth in lactating
tissue as well as the breast having a "second chance"
at growing.

If she really does develop mastitis, she should ensure
that she isn't constricting the breast, especially
where the scar tissue is.  Maybe cabbage leaves on
that area will help too.  She will produce enough with
just one breast, given proper support.

Kate, who has to pack to move back to Boulder so I
have a lot to say after a month or more of silence.  :-)