From:
Jessica Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:10:45 -0500
I'm a lactation consultant at a busy tertiary high risk center. We have
recently experienced a new strain of NEC that is killing our premature
infants more quickly.  Our neonatologists would like the moms to pump
within 2 hrs of delivery as they want to prime the infant's gut ASAP.  It
seems like initially the pump is not able to extract the colostrum due to
its thickness, and most of the precious drops end up around the breast
shield uncollected. Any suggestions on the best way to retreive this
valuable colostrum. We thought maybe hand expression into a medicine cup
and then using a 3cc syringe to draw it up.