From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:35:55 +0100
I'm noticing a trend in negative comments about donated human milk,
which I find interesting as a few months ago there was a trend to
discuss cross-nursing, and wet-nursing as a few articles had appeared.
In a world where most mothers in our hospitals have gone through a
gazillion tests for disease during the pregnancy, I've seen comments
about using human milk from other mothers being the equivalent of
engaging in unsafe sexual practises on your child's behalf.

Two ways to look at it: as the profile was raised a few months ago,
natural human curiosity is just arguing out all the variable factors,
and discussing them openly.  Or, in a world where breastfeeding rates
are slowly on the rise, the need to place distrust in the competing
'product' increases.   Building on that, it may be that as recognition
of the risks of formula become more widespread (I'd argue this is the
case - slowly but surely) financial interests in formula dictate that
you must then switch to talking about the 'risks' of human milk?   It's
not too big a step to connect the rise in use of donated milk with a
drop in formula use - and therefore in profits from formula use.
Particularly as the industry has just spent so much money developing its
'preemie' ranges and then marketing them.

Given that examples such as the one below are starting to pop up, I
think we might have to look at the language we're using to discuss
'risk' on human milk.  Any soggy thinking or unclear areas in our own
discourse, is just going to become another huge stick to beat us all
with. And I do think we have very unclear messages, as a community,
about cross-nursing, wet-nursing and donated milk.   Which probably
reflects that as a community, we have widely different, and sometimes
directly opposing, views.

The idea that donated milk needs 'making safe' before it can be given to
babies is becoming quite a pernicious concept.  This is a very complex
issue on the nature of risk, that is being boiled down, as always, into
stark statements.  At one end of the spectrum, there are things that can
get into milk, and babies, that you wouldn't want them to have.  At the
other end, the safest and most life sustaining and nourishing substance
a baby can have, is being rejected from ill founded fears.  Once again,
this natural substance needs to be taken into the realm of science in
order to make it 'safe' - you just can't go about taking milk from one
mother, and giving it to another baby, without _scientific_
intervention.  And that's just the milk itself, before we get to the
problem of it being directly on tap from another woman's breast.  What a
huge loss of power, to those invested professionals, if mothers take the
power into their own hands and just get on with it: let's scare the crap
out of them about the dangers they are putting in their baby's paths.   :-(

Sometimes in all battle grounds, the tiny issues being waged on the edge
of the arena, become the most powerful in terms of outside perception.
At its most base, as I've suggested, formula interests will pick up the
tiniest problem and use it as a rallying cry for their own forces.
Perceptions about donated milk, cross-nursing and wet-nursing are
changing, and whilst we probably see three different things in that,
many of those on the outside lump them together as the same issue.
Somehow, our discourse must find a way to discuss real risks, and place
them in context, whilst refuting such nonsense.

What an interesting dance this is going to be.....

Morgan Gallagher