From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:22:23 +0200
Just in case there is nothing wrong with his frenulum, would'nt this kid
benefit from using a SNS?.  It will reward him with a constant flow, and
might encourage him to nurse more effectively.  I've never used one, nor
have I seen them being used, but from what I've read the tubes could be
really small, and the bottle be placed low enough too require some effort
from the baby's part. Just a thought.
And now a question.  Is there such a thing as a short tongue?  At my last
LLL meeting I saw a two week old baby girl whose tongue would not come out
over her lower gum.  She could turn it upwards though, so I did not think it
was a case of short frenulum.  I had talked to this mom before the meeting,
when she was to have a doctor's appointment.  I advised her to have the
doctor check the baby's mouth (frenulum, palate, etc) because the little
girl had never nursed.  Doctor said everything is fine with her, but there
aren't many pediatricians who are knowledgeable of breastfeeding basics in
this country.  At the meeting I encouraged the parents to observe other
babies nurse, so they could have an idea of what a good latch looked like.
We watched the Medela positioning video, and I worked with mother and baby
with different positions and latching techniques.  Luckily for me, there was
another mother at the meeting who pumped and gave EMB for 2.5 months before
her son finally nursed.  Again, my experience has been mostly with "normal"
breastfeeding situations.

Lavinia Belli, LLL Madrid