From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:30:23 +0000
joylyn,
if the baby is thriving there is no reason (as far as baby is concerned) to
increase the supply on the low supply side. If the mother wants to (for the
mother reasons, whatever they are) then just give her the usual options (in
no particular order):
- nurse more on that side; maybe comfort nursing
- pump extra on that side
- wean from that side
- wear a pad in there if she is concerned about lopsidedness
- breast massage and breast compression on that side
- use a lactation aid w/ expressed milk from other side to keep baby nursing
longer on low side

Sometimes that side just won't increase much. If she is lopsided, what came
first? was she lopsided pre-pregnancy? pre-childbearing years? or did the
lopsidedness result from baby favoring that side? why? better letdown? I try
to tell moms that our bodies are not equal on both sides. I give examples
that my eyeglass/contact lenses prescription is different for L and R eyes.
Also my ring finger on either hand are different sizes. Some people wear a
different shoe size on each foot. Sometimes this takes the pressure off to
normalize/equalize both sides.
Of course if she really wants to increase supply then she has many options
as above. Hope this helps some.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA