From:
CKoehler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:27:53 -0500
Hello! I'm not new to Lactnet, but I've finally found the time to post one
of the many questions I've faced as a new RN working in postpartum. I've
searched the archives pretty extensively, and haven't found a real
definitive answer thus far to my latest "dilemma".
In the past few weeks during my orientation period, I've worked with a
couple moms that were "suspected" of marijuana use during pregnancy.
Therefore, I was ordered very specifically (per our LC) to refuse these moms
to breastfeed (which they very much wanted to do) until their drug screen
and their infant's urine tested negative (could take anywhere from 12-36
hours-- collection isn't easy!). These moms are then observed very closely
while "visiting" with their babes.
To make a long story short: I have a real problem with this, mostly re: the
legal implications (violation of civil rights, I would guess-- I'd sue in a
heartbeat!) and the implications for bonding/milk supply/nipple
confusion/morale/etc..
I asked for a rationale for this policy, and what I got was our LC waving
the "Meds and Mother's Milk" book repeating over and over "It's
contraindicated! It's contraindicated!" (i.e., not very much help).
I need more than that, before can I go into a mom's room again and tell her
she can't nurse her baby for the next few hours... I'd really like to get
some hard data that would *influence* the "powers that be" away from this
policy
(legal precedents, studies re: the benefits of BF for moms who smoke
marijuana vs ABM, and the like). I've looked, and haven't found much-- and
that which I have found is too "wishy washy" for the folks on our staff.
Any replies greatly appreciated (and your staff protocols, too! I'd love to
hear how others are handling this situation..):
Thanks--
Cyndi, RN in WI