From:
Kim Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 00:41:42 -0800
Is it possible to overfeed an exclusively breastfed baby? Would there be any reason to
restrict/manage breastfeeding in a baby who is gaining extremely quickly?

If feedings were to be managed, what would be appropriate? I am asking because we have a
mother in our LLL Group who has a child who at 13 months weighs 35 lbs. This is the
largest baby I have ever seen! She is so large that she can barely pull herself up and
isn't walking. The parents are both small people and the baby is fed a healthy,
vegetarian diet. The mother is concerned that her feeding practices have caused her baby
to gain so rapidly and she is getting comments from others about her "fat" baby. This
baby has rolls and rolls and looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy!

This mother nurses her daughter a lot! Every time she whimpers or seems unhappy she is
offered the breast. She has never had any other sucking outlet. This mother also refuses
to remove the baby from her breast until the baby lets go, no matter what!

Any information would be appreciated.

Kim
--
Kim Balzer, La Leche League Leader
Area Communications Coordinator--LLL of N.CA/HI

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious
stupidity.          --Martin Luther King, Jr.