From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:06:46 PST
Bonnie, you have exactly described the problem(s).Your post is a perfect
analysis (in other words, you've described my feelings, thoughts, etc.
wonderfully well!).

The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor program is one of the tools in our
kit to combat the images of a bottle feeding society. The peer
counselors, for the most part, are standing up against the tide, and are
among the most courageous women because they dare to be different. Their
hunger for knowledge, their desire to make a better world for their
children, help them overcome the barriers you described. WIC programs
serve low income families, families in shelters, pregnant teens. We are
most fortunate at our site-the OB/GYN clinic hired a perinatal
educator whose duties include teaching childbirth classes. She's a
former LLLL, has had home birth and of course breastfed all her
children. She's been a terrific influence on our moms. More and more women are opting to go for "natural" childbirth, and they see that they
truly HAVE options.

The way I see it, prenatal education and lots of it, is the solution. A
unified message throughout the facility would be great, but as long as
you have SOME allies, you have a fighting chance!
Good luck!

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC