From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:40:09 -0600
Ilene writes:

>Because I've been asked to do some research I want to ask Marsha W. a
>question.
>Who is NABA? Is it only you? and who defines the WHO code specifically?
>I'm lead to believe it is only you and you make all the recommendations.

You've been given incorrect information.  Below is Marsha's Lactnet post
from a little over a week ago for answers to some of your questions. I
have been involved in this process since the beginning, and I can tell
you for certain that Marsha makes no decisions on her own.  This has
been a collaboration of international partners, including INFACT Canada,
U.K.'s Baby Food Action Network and the International Code Documentation
Centre in Penang Malaysia.  No decision was made without unanimous
agreement from these organizations.

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, LLLL
Lactation Consultant, Ameda Breastfeeding Products
Chicago suburbs

 From Marsha:

The WHO Code is a compromise document
that can be vague and open to interpretation. In the US, the National
Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy (NABA) is the IBFAN group that
monitors the Code and reports on it through its publications, Selling
out Mothers and Babies and Still Selling out Mothers and Babies. Many
other countries have IBFAN organizations such as INFACT Canada in
Canada and Baby Milk Action in the UK. The International Code
Documentation Center (ICDC) in Penang is Code central and the
repository of Code issues. It is all of these organizations that
interpret the Code.

Evenflo is meeting its obligations under the Code. I have spent a year
and a half working with Evenflo in consultation with INFACT Canada and
ICDC on helping Evenflo meet its obligations under the Code. The Code
provides guidelines on how formula, feeding bottles, and artificial
nipples are marketed. It does not prohibit their sale and use. Bottles
and nipples are permitted to be sold and pictures of these items are
permitted on websites as long as the text does not idealize their use.
You will notice a pack shot on the Evenflo website of all of the
bottles and nipples (items covered under the Code). This is permitted.
You will also notice that the only information about these items is
factual. Evenflo does not market bottles and nipples directly to the
consumer. It has no print ads or printed materials about its feeding
bottles and nipples that are distributed to mothers. All of its
packaging meets Code specifications with no pictures of feeding
bottles/nipples and language that is only factual.

Your question about Medela and how it can be a violator with only a
picture on its website is not a complete look at the situation. NABA
has received examples of Code violations by Medela in print ads in
American Baby Magazine and in materials given directly to mothers.
Packaging of pumps and feeding bottles contain pictures of these items
with language that idealizes their use. These are all Code violations.

The Code is interested in how formula and bottles/nipples are marketed.
If a baby needs formula, the Code does not prohibit its use. If a baby
needs to be fed breastmilk with a bottle, it does not prohibit this
either. The Code is continually updated with the resolutions that are
added to it every 2 years or so.

There are no judgements or spear-throwing here. ICDC, INFACT Canada,
Baby Milk Action, NABA, and all of the other IBFAN groups are doing
their best to interpret the Code. Use of bottles and artificial nipples
when necessary is not the issue, it is how these products are marketed
that the Code addresses.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA