From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 06:42:18 -0500
Fellow LactNetters, a former Texas A&M medical student mentee of mine, now
in residency/practice in Montreal, sends the following e-mail to me.  I plan
to search the archives and send him a synopsis, but if any of you know of
specific references, or have anecdotal observations to share, please do so
directly to Dr. Michael Moellenhoff.  He's a good fellow, very teachable,
spent several weeks in Mali, West Africa in 1989 when I was there.  His
e-mail is:  [log in to unmask]

>what are the debates between LC's and Anesthesiologists
>about? Narcotics ( systemic or neuraxial)? or Local Anesthetics (
>probably not)? I would think that the drugs would get in the way
>only in the worst case scenario e.g.
>Post-op c/section getting lots of IV medication or
>maybe immediately after a GA c/section.
>We almost never give much besides epidural or spinal in
>low enough doses that there shouldn't be appreciable systemic or
>breast milk concentrations of drugs.
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University