From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:50:00 +0200
Euhm... I would like to make one remark, not specifically about the topic,
but about the wording.
Human milk does NOT improve IQ; formula harms IQ.
I have decided to make this my mission in the upcoming years.
Breastfeeding does not have advantages, does not lower risks, does not
create babies with fewer diseases and is not the best feeding.
Breastfeeding (not human milk feeding) is the normal feeding; all else lacks
certain aspects, one more than the other.
If the normal feeding is not possible, we should try to help parents choose
the next best (human milk feeding from whatever source).
Miriam Labbok has recalculated statistical data (see JHL for more
information) to explain the increased risks with formula instead of
decreased risks with breastfeeding.
If breastfeeding halves a certain risk, we should say that formula doubles
the risks.

I really want to make a warm plea for taking the right reference frame in
the way we speak: breastfeeding.
Let's be the change we want to see! (Gandhi) :o))

Bye,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands